Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Planking complete, Starting to Caulk

Now that the planks are back on, its time to caulk the seams, pay them with putty, fit the bungs, prime, and paint.  Not necessarily in that order.  In fact, I'm a bit perplexed about the right order.

Is it caulk, prime, bung, putty, prime, paint?   I read that after hammering home the caulk that you should paint the caulk to keep it from expanding.  so thats what I did, but I hadn't put in the bungs before that. So I'm a bit out of whack.

I used cotton and oakum, depending on the size of the seams.  The two main seams under the chine got oakum, as the cotton would push through the boat since the gaps were large.  I originally assumed I'd have to put in softwood splines, but the oakum seemed to work no problem, and saved some tasks for splining on my workplan.  Yes, I'm a nerd, I have a full workplan in MS project.  Current projected completion date is 4/23/18.   woot!   Lets see how long that lasts.


Old school, Beetle and oakum, you can see the oakum in the seam on the bottom right.

Oakum closeup

Had to do a lot of work on the stem because the screws were not drawing up tight and the counterbores were too shallow to hold the bungs.   also, this area had a ton of bondo on it which had to be heated and brushed off.    Looking much better here.

started by caulking the garboard seems and then painting them with primer
worked my way out towards the chine, priming after each seam
My assistant, and bung hammer extraordinaire


almost finished on this side with the bungs.  Still some to fix.  often have to pull the screw, deepen the counter-bore and retry

No comments:

Post a Comment