Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Bungs in, Trimmed, and Primer on

Made some progress this week; was able to get all the bungs into the boat, trim, plan and sand them.  This was an eye opening moment in that I originally ordered 500 bungs from Jamestown, but ran through them after only finishing 2/3rds of the boat!  So just now realizing that refastening this thing meant replacing over 700 screws.  no wonder it has taken so long.

The biggest struggle with the bungs was that many of the countersunk holes had been damaged during the removal of the original screws, or were too shallow.   for some, I was about to just drill the hole slightly deeper, in order to get a good seal on the bung.  For those that were already too deep, i had to bore out to the next size bung, in this case from a 3/8 to a 1/2 inch bung.  this worked pretty well since, although the larger bung stands out somewhat due to the larger size, the new bore allowed them to fit snugly.







Since the last post, I had a bit of a setback.  I had started paying the seams with Interlux Seam Putty.  I was using the brown putty for under the waterline.  On a whim, I called Interlux to ask if I could use the brown putty on the topsides.   When I told them this boat was intended to be dry sailed, and asked, do I need to use the white topside putty too? they said, "I wouldn't use either, the brown putty will dry up and crack if its not in the water."    They reecommended I use BoatLife Life Calk. since it won't harden.   Its in the mail.


So I had to remove the putty that I had put on last week, not a problem, it was pretty soft and pliable, and my trusty reefing iron that I made about 6 years ago at the beginning of this project, came it handy.   only took about an hour to remove.

The good news is that according to my super nerd man Microsoft Project Plan, I am still on target to get this think in the water in late March.  That is exciting.

So tonight I finished putting on the first coat of primer.  Interlux Pre-Kote, to be precise.  Went on pretty easily, and seems to be the right stuff to use in this scenario.  Once I get the BoatLife Calk I will pay the seams and then add another coat of primer.   I will also need to fair out a few areas where there are chips scratches and tear out below the water line.  i think I'll use west system epoxy with fairing additive... but maybe I should call interlux first to make sure I don't screw it up again.




No comments:

Post a Comment