Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Paying Seams. Bung repairs

I have been working on fixing any screw holes where the plugs don't fit tightly; normally this involved drilling the courterbore slightly deeper so that the plug will seal, and in some cases I have to move up one size from a 3/8" plug, to 1/2".  Over all pretty easy, just takes some time.

As for paying the seams.  I am using interlux seam putty below the water line. I started out trying to do this using a putty knife, with poor results.  So I moved on to plan B, which was to thin the putty slightly with paint thinner, then pack it into a caulking tube from west systems, and then apply it with a standard caulking gun.... much better results.

I did realize that I had the process order a bit wrong.  Should've done the bungs, then trim them, then caulk, and then pay the seams.   will do better on the other side of the boat.


Here is the seam that was produced by using the caulking gun... much cleaner


added some glazing in the topsides just to see how well it will work,  Looks good. not sure if I should tint it or just go with white?



caulking from the stern

More planking glamour shots

No comments:

Post a Comment