Friday, February 26, 2016

Plank Cleaning

I've been prepping planks for re-installation.   Its a slow process, but the results are worth it.  I'm I've already stripped the majority of the varnish and paint that was on the inside of the boat.  most of it was done when the planks came off; now I'm working to remove the residue that remained.  I've been doing this with a heat gun and #3 steel wool.  Its a good method for these mahogany planks, but I've heard that using steel wool isn't good to use on oak, because bits get in the wood and cause rust stains (but haven't confirmed that myself).

Before I started this process, I removed the bulk of the varnish and paint with a heat gun and scraper, being careful not to scratch the wood.  that then leaves some areas of thin varnish

Ultimately, this isn't a sanding operation.  You don't want to use the wool to abrade the varnish or wood.  Let the heat gun do the work.  I let the gun sit on a spot for about 5 seconds, then lightly wipe with the wool.  The idea is that the wool picks up the liquified varnish, and it gets trapped in the wool and pulls away.  After a while the wool gets matted with varnish and you need a new one. 

Here are the tools of the trade.  heat gun, steel wood (about half way through its life), safety glasses, gloves, and a respirator.  The respirator is a must, I did a few days of this without one, and found that my mental capacity at work was limited... oops.




Here is the latest victim, not bad for a piece of wood that was first screwed onto the boat 80 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment